Sunday 29 April 2012

Another "Homemade" Sunday: Growing Kitchen Greens

Bok Choy + Celery goodness!
Getting tired of running out of celery for your lunches? Love the taste and health benefits of bok choy, but constantly buying big bunches only to see them go to waste? Well look no further . . your solution is here!

Maybe I should've gone into advertising instead . . or maybe not. ANYWAY, the idea I'm suggesting in this post still accomplishes all of the above, plus it's a great conversation piece on your kitchen counters.

This is basically an experiment of which I know very little at this point, but one that I trust will work - since it already is after a couple of short days! My partner and I go through celery pretty damn quickly and are starting to fill up freezer 'broth-bags' quicker than we expected to. So, he came up with a pretty neat idea (after doing some research on which veggies this actually works with): growing your own bok choy and celery indoors. What you need for this is rather simple:

Materials
- shallow reusable container
- water
- ends of bok choy and/or celery (or maybe even other veggies - let me know what works for you :)

Essentially, all you need to do is place the ends of the veggie stalks into the water, move them around your kitchen to find the sun, and watch them grow! We've been doing this for about 3 days and the sprouts are really popping. The bok choy especially . . very cool to watch! This experiment costs nothing to do and the results will be rather tasty. 

Let me know how it goes. Good luck :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment